Tuesday, February 16, 2021

ECHR backs Germany over probe into lethal Kunduz air attack | Al Jazeera

Kunduz air attack

The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) has ruled that Germany thoroughly investigated a 2009 NATO bombing in Afghanistan that was ordered by a German commander and killed dozens of people.

The decision by the Strasbourg-based court on Tuesday rejected a complaint by Afghan citizen Abdul Hanan, who lost two sons in the attack, that Germany did not fulfil its obligation to effectively investigate the incident.

The air attack was ordered by the commander of NATO troops in Kunduz, Georg Klein, who called in a United States fighter jet to strike two fuel trucks near the city of Kunduz which NATO believed had been hijacked by Taliban fighters.

Contrary to the intelligence Klein based his decision on, most of those surrounding the trucks were local civilians invited by the Taliban to siphon fuel from the vehicles after they had become stuck in a riverbed.

The Afghan government said at the time 99 people, including 30 civilians, were killed. Independent rights groups estimated between 60 and 70 civilians were killed.
  • Ruling ‘important internationally’
Germany’s federal prosecutor general had found that Klein did not incur criminal liability, mainly because he was convinced when he ordered the air attack that no civilians were present.

For him to be liable under international law, he would have had to be found to have acted with intent to cause excessive civilian casualties.

The ECHR considered the effectiveness of Germany’s investigation, including whether it established a justification for lethal use of force. It did not consider the legality of the air attack.

It found that German federal prosecutors were “able to rely on a considerable amount of material concerning the circumstances and the impact of the airstrike”.

It also noted that courts including Germany’s highest, the Federal Constitutional Court, rejected cases by Hanan. And it added that a parliamentary commission of inquiry “had ensured a high level of public scrutiny of the case”.

Wolfgang Kaleck, the head of the European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights who provided legal support to Hanan, said the verdict was a disappointment for the latter but noted that judges had made clear that governments have a duty to at least investigate such cases.

“The bombardment and the dozens of civilian deaths didn’t result in a rebuke, there’s no resumption of the criminal case,” he told reporters after the court announced its decision.

“On the other hand, it will be very important internationally, also in future, that the European Convention on Human Rights applies,” Kaleck said. “That’s to say, those who conduct such military operations have to legally answer for them afterward, hopefully to a greater extent than in the Kunduz case.”...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only News

Δημοσιεύτηκε από Geo Kok στις Τρίτη, 9 Φεβρουαρίου 2021

UK Vaccine Queue Calculator

Δημοσιεύτηκε από Geo Kok στις Παρασκευή, 5 Φεβρουαρίου 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6zSoc2ntM4

Δημοσιεύτηκε από Geo Kok στις Πέμπτη, 28 Ιανουαρίου 2021

Featured Post

US Democratic congresswoman : There is no difference between 'moderate' rebels and al-Qaeda or the ISIS

United States Congresswoman and Democratic Party member Tulsi Gabbard on Wednesday revealed that she held a meeting with Syrian Presiden...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin