Sunday, January 1, 2017

Police launch manhunt after 39 people killed in Istanbul nightclub attack

Police in Istanbul have launched a manhunt for a gunman who killed at least 39 people, many of them foreigners, at a nightclub packed with New Year's revellers, in an attack officials described as a terrorist act.


The gunman shot his way into the Reina nightclub at around 1:15am local time (10.15pm Irish time), just over an hour into the new year, killing a police officer and a civilian as he entered before opening fire at random inside.

Some witnesses spoke of multiple attackers, but officials have not confirmed this.

Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said 15 or 16 of those killed were foreigners but that only 21 of the bodies had so far been identified.

He said 69 people were in hospital, four of them in a critical condition.

"A manhunt for the terrorist is underway. Police have launched operations. We hope the attacker will be captured soon," he told reporters.
 [rte.ie]
1/1/17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only News

UK Vaccine Queue Calculator

Featured Post

US Democratic congresswoman : There is no difference between 'moderate' rebels and al-Qaeda or the ISIS

United States Congresswoman and Democratic Party member Tulsi Gabbard on Wednesday revealed that she held a meeting with Syrian Presiden...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin